For current students and faculty/staff

Academic Honesty

Faculty will gather all material evidence (e.g., papers, crib notes, copied materials and the source[s] from which it came, et al.). If the charges have arisen from an inconsistency in quality, prior work samples along with the work in question should be presented to the student. Names of those who have knowledge of the situation will also be presented.

Once the information is gathered, a meeting between the individual faculty member and the accused should be held within 5 class days (or within 5 business days of a final exam) to discuss the matter. All parties shall maintain confidentiality. The faculty member may seek advice/counsel from their department chair. The student may seek advice/counsel from an individual of their choice.

Following the meeting, the faculty member shall have these options available if disciplinary action is warranted:

  • Have the student redo the assignment or do a different assignment.
  • Reduce the student’s grade a specified amount.
  • Give the student an F for the assignment.
  • Give the student an AF or F for the course.
  • Issue the student a letter of sanction (copies to registrar and student’s department chair).
  • Other options as appropriate.
  • Available options that require department chair and VPAWE approval include:
    • Suspend the student from the program or college for one semester.
    • Suspend the student from the program or college for more than one semester.
    • Dismiss the student from the program or college.

The faculty member’s decision will be sent in writing to the student within 2 class days of the meeting. If another student was complicit in the cheating/plagiarism, the faculty member will pursue disciplinary action against that student. Appeals are handled using the grade appeal/grade change process and/or the student judicial process.

Academic Progress

Any student whose academic progress is deemed less than acceptable by their department chair may be referred to the Academic Standards Committee, which considers each case and recommends action to be taken by the VPAWE. That action may involve, but is not limited to, a warning, academic probation, program suspension, NHTI suspension for a specified period of time, conditional probation, or dismissal. Dismissal is permanent.

All credit courses are used for this calculation. Students entering with advanced standing should add their transfer credits to those credits earned at NHTI to determine their positions in the guidelines. Any matriculated student registered for 2 or more courses during any semester will be subject to review by the Academic Standards Committee. Academic progress may affect financial aid. Check with the Financial Aid Office for more information.

Academic Warnings

At mid-semester, academic warnings are formally issued by faculty to students with grades of C- or below, NP, or PP. Warnings are submitted to the Registrar’s Office, which then emails the letters to students. Warnings may also be issued at any time during a semester when deemed appropriate by faculty.

Academic Probation

Academic probation usually will last for one semester only. The student’s department chair will recommend to the committee if a student can take courses in their major field during academic probation. Students placed on academic probation may be eligible to continue receiving financial aid if they meet the minimum GPA requirements. To ensure that adequate academic progress toward a degree is being made, the college uses the guides above in determining which students are automatically brought to the attention of the Academic Standards Committee.


Suspension may be for any period of time established by the Academic Standards Committee but must be for a minimum of one semester excluding the Summer (unless it is required by the student’s program). A matriculated student suspended from a program may not take major field courses during the suspension; non-major courses may be taken.

Students under academic suspension may seek course selection and academic planning help from Academic Advising. Students who are under academic suspension from NHTI and wish to return must, prior to the completion of the suspension, submit a new application with an explanatory letter, to the NHTI Admissions Office.

Guidelines for Suspension
  • NP or F in clinic
  • Probation status for third consecutive semester
  • Violations of the Student Code of Conduct
  • Failure to meet published technical standards

Conditional Probation Partnership

The conditional probation partnership assists students whose cumulative GPA would be placed on program suspension. This involves a contractual arrangement with the student that incorporates mentoring/counseling elements. A department chair designates students for this program by making a recommendation to the Academic Standards Committee based on the department’s judgment they could reasonably be expected to achieve academic success with guided assistance and realistic academic goals. A contract is then forwarded to the student with a letter from the VPAWE explaining that the student is being given the opportunity to continue in the program if they agree to the contract conditions.

The student must sign the contract and return it to the Office of Academics and Workforce Education by a predetermined date. If the student chooses not to sign the contract, status will be determined by the guidelines for suspension. A student who accepts the contract but fails to abide by its provisions will be returned to suspension immediately and not be eligible to apply for readmission until the end of the subsequent semester.