For current students and faculty/staff

Course Substitution/Waiver

A student may be eligible to substitute a higher-level course for the one prescribed in the curriculum if indicated by an evaluation of the student’s competencies. The substitution can be made only with the joint approval of the student’s department chair and the department chair of the area offering the course. The Approval Form is available in the Registrar’s Office. A student may substitute a comparable course from another program to meet degree requirements with the common agreement of the department chairs and the approval of the VPAWE.

A course may be waived by the director of Admissions in consultation with the department chair only if a higher-level course has been completed at another accredited college or university with a grade of C or higher. Waivers apply only to transfer of credits from accredited colleges or universities and not prerequisites for a given program. A waiver is for the course only; credit will not be awarded for the waived course. All students must complete a minimum of 60 credits to be awarded an Associate in Science or Associate in Arts degree. Students with fewer than 64 credits as a result of a waiver must make up the credits. Any make-up credits must have the approval of the student’s department chair.